In Singapore in July 2005, London won the right to host the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. In the presentation in Singapore, London made a promise to the world that showed the commitment
from London to use the power of the Games to inspire millions of Young People to choose sport. This became known as the ‘Singapore Promise’.
The Young Ambassador Movement aims to empower and inspire young people to become role models and leaders through sport, by developing their confidence and skills in order to increase physical activity participation in others
On Tuesday 18th Oct three Ysgol John Bright students attended Conwy’s first Young Ambassadors conference held at Venue Cymru. Also in attendance were local Councillors and guest speakers, who were as they said, honoured to be at such an event and gave encouragement to the young ambassadors as they embark on their role to inspire others to participate in sport.
Jacob Upright 12B has been selected as a Gold Ambassador for Conwy County. Jacob has completed his Community Sports Leaders Award and has given many hours in helping students from Ysgol Gogarth, he has also helped to run primary school festivals as well as help out with various sporting fixtures and open evenings within the school. Jacob will now travel down to Cardiff in November to attend the Young Ambassadors conference at Sport Wales National Centre.
Roles and responsibilities of a Gold Young Ambassador
- To represent and work across the local area for a period of two years
- To increase participation and promote healthy active lifestyles amongst other young people in the partnership
- To promote the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and encourage schools to register for Get Set and join the Get Set network
- To raise the profile and understanding of the Olympic and Paralympic values amongst other young people in the partnership
- To support the training of adiStars Young Ambassadors in the local area
Rebecca Cross 10R and Josh Parry 10R have both been selected as Silver Ambassadors for Sport for Ysgol John Bright.
Role and responsibilities of a Silver Ambassador
- To be an ambassador for adiStars in their secondary school
- To promote the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games within their school through the London 2012 education
- Join the Get Set network
- To be role models in living out the Olympic and Paralympic values within their school.
Well done to all involved!